Thursday, June 20, 2013

S01E02 Transcript - "Viking for Hire"

Written by Art Brown & Douglas Sloan
Transcribed by IcelandicEel & Valkyrie

EXT. NORTH SEA - DAWN

We fly over a Viking ship in the middle of the sea.

HICCUP (V.O)
Everybody needs a place in the world. Some people are born to theirs.

STOICK shouts from the rear of the ship:

Stoick
Raise the main sail! Turn it toward starboard!

EXT. COVE - DUSK

Hiccup reaches out to touch Toothless.

HICCUP (V.O.)
Some people discover theirs.

EXT. BERK - NIGHT

GOBBER pounds away at a sword with his hammer hand. He slides it into a cart filled with weapons and pulls it into the town square.
HICCUP (V.O.)
And some people discover theirs.

GOBBER
Grab a weapon! No need to be choosy!

Vikings run at the dragons with their weapons.

A Monstrous Nightmare shoots a blast of fire, which narrowly misses Gobber. Another Viking swings his sword at another dragons. Vikings yell. Dragons roar.

A Nadder flies off into the sunset.

EXT. BERK - DAY

A Gronkle flies into town, carrying Fishlegs. Dragons and Vikings are living together. One Vikingis giving his Gronkle a belly rub.

HICCUP (V.O.)
But then the world around them changes, and the place they made is gone.

Gobber pounds at a sword with his hammer hand. He inspects it and sighs before sliding it into the cart.

EXT. DRAGON ACADEMY - DAY

We fly around the rocky cliffs of Berk and into the Dragon Training Academy, where HICCUP and the others are in the middle of class.

Hiccup stands in front of a blackboard with tally marks.

HICCUP
Every dragon has its own unique abilities that give it its own special place in the world. Which dragon makes the best welding torch?

ASTRID and FISHLEGS stand to the left of Hiccup. Astrid yells out:
ASTRID
Oh! Deadly Nadder!

FISHLEGS
Its magnesium flame burns with the heat of the sun!

Hiccup adds a tally to the board. Astrid and Fishlegs bump fists.

HICCUP
Correct! Point to team Astrid. Score is now one hundred to ten.

ASTRID
And you started with ten.

On the other side of the arena stand RUFFNUT, TUFFNUT, and SNOTLOUT.

TUFFNUT
Oh yeah? Well, the game's not over. Wait, what team am I on?

HICCUP
Next question. What is the shot limit of a Hideous Zippleback. Team Snotlout?

ASTRID
I don't think they can count that high.

RUFFNUT
Oh really? Well let's find out! Barf!

Ruff and Tuff's Zippleback raises its two heads from behind the twins and shoots flameballs toward the wall behind Astrid, leaving six marks.

Tuffnut holds up two fingers.

TUFFNUT
Looks like it's about three.

RUFFNUT
Told you we could count that high.

HICCUP
It's six. You're half right. Five points.

RUFFNUT
Yes! We're up to thirty!

She high fives her teammates.

ASTRID
All right, it's our turn. What happens when you shoot fire at the owner of a Deadly Nadder?

Astrid whistles. Stormfly, her dragon, jumps up and throws tail spikes at the other team, pinning them to the back wall.

TUFFNUT
No fair! She didn't give us time to answer!

Snotlout jumps down.
SNOTLOUT
I've got a question. What happens when I sick Hookfang on you?

Hiccup closes his book, worried.

HICCUP
Okay guys, that's enough training. So... we did some really good work here.

SNOTLOUT
Prepare to face the Monstrous Nightmare!

Smotlout pats the side of his Nightmare's mouth. Hookfang roars and lights its entire body on fire.

Snotlout jumps off.

SNOTLOUT
Ah! That's the third time this week!

And leaps into a trough of water.

SNOTLOUT
Ah. Sweet relief.

HICCUP

Hookfang never flames up when you're righting him. Is he okay?

ASTRID
Maybe he just realized who his owner is.

Snotlout gestures to Astrid.

SNOTLOUT
There's room in here for two.

Astrid dunks him into the water.

EXT. BERK - DAY

We scan past a series of drawings of Vikings usng weapons. Gobber has set up his weapon stand in the town square.

GOBBER
Gather around! Come on, one and all! You may think these dragon-killing weapons have no more use, but think again! This longsword is now a lovely butter knife!

He spreads the butter across the bread, unintentionally cutting the slice into tiny bits.

GOBBER
Eh. It's also good for making breadcrumbs.

The plate shatters. The crowd looks on, skeptical.

GOBBER
Moving on.

MILDEW leans over and whispers into Hiccup's ear.

MILDEW
Well, this is a dark day. A great dragon slayer peddling his weapons as kitchen utensils? Hm.

Gobber pulls out a giant mace.

GOBBER
Up next, how about this...

A fly buzzes past Gobber and lands on the table.

GOBBER
Handy flyswatter?

Gobber slams the mace at the fly, completely destroying the table. The fly buzzes away.

GOBBER
Hehe. Also good for getting rid of unwanted tables.

Gobber stands beside a catapult.

GOBBER
Now, for the lady of the house! When the hubby's of pillaging, how are you to protect yourself from home invaders? No problem when you have Big Bertha!

Gobber taps at the side of the catapult, causing it to launch. Gobber grimaces. The crowd gasps.

The rock smashes through a Viking's home. The viking stops and stares through the hole back at the crowd.

GOBBER
Hey wait! There's more! Come back! You haven't seen everything yet! I haven't cleared out my dungeon yet!

Gobber turns, discouraged, lightly patting the catapult.

GOBBER
It's okay Bertha. We'll find a place for you.

MILDEW
Ah, it's hard to watch. Especially for you, eh, Hiccup? The feelings of guilt must be tearing at your insides. I mean, you put him out of business with your little peace pact with the dragons. You ruined his life. Bravo!

Hiccup looks back to Gobber sadly before walking away.

INT. HADDOCK HOUSE - NIGHT

Hiccup sits on his bed, with Toothless at his side.

HICCUP
You know, Gobber made this for me? He taught me everything I needed to know to make your tail. I've gotta find some way to help him.

Stoick comes into the house and sits down. He removes his helmet, sighing.

Hiccup comes downstairs.

HICCUP
Tough day at chiefdom, dad?

STOICK
I was all over the island. I married the Svenson girl to the Odegard boy at dawn. Then down to the fields where some kids were tipping over yaks. Then back up to the newlyweds to settle a domestic dispute.

Hiccup pours Stoick a mug of mead. He hands it to his father and goes over to the fire.

STOICK
Thank you son. Sometimes I wish there were two of me.
Hiccup freezes, dropping a log into the fire.

HICCUP
Dad, there are two of you!

STOICK
Is that another crack about my weight?

HICCUP
No, I mean Gobber. He can be the other you.

STOICK
Gobber? He's way to busy making all those dragon-killing.... Well, used to be, until you. Which is great. Except for Gobber.

HICCUP
Exactly my point!

STOICK
You know, that's actually not such a bad idea! I could use a right hand!

Stoick stands up and puts on his helmet.

HICCUP
Which works out great, 'cuz that's kind of the only one he has.

EXT. BERK - DAY

Stoick and Gobber walk out to the town square, Stoick carrying a piece of paper.
STOICK
I greatly appreciate your helping me out, Gobber.

GOBBER
I'm just glad I could find some time in my busy schedule, Stoick.

STOICK
I've got a busy day ahead of me. Here's your half.

He rips the paper in half and hands one side to Gobber.

GOBBER
Oh, this'll be interesting.

STOICK
Now remember, some of these situations are delicate. They require diplomacy.

GOBBER
Ah, no problem. I'm great at... that.

STOICK
Really? You? You can speak to people with tact and sensitivity?

GOBBER
Oh, I thought it meant clobbing people on the head and asking questions later. But I can give your thing a shot.

Gobber walks away, with Stoick looking at him wearily.

INT. GREAT HALL - DAY

Gobber stands at the front of a crowd of Vikings, next to a mother, father, and baby.

GOBBER
Whosoever brings this child forth into the Hooligan tribe, let he be known!

The Viking woman hands a crying baby to Gobber.

GOBBER
As a representative of the chief, I welcome this baby into the Hooligan tribe. And pronounce the name to be...

The father leans over and whispers something into Gobber's ear.

GOBBER
Eeh? Hildegard? Doesn't seem like a Hildegard to me. Let's go with Magnus.

VIKING MOTHER
But she's a girl, Gobber!

GOBBER
Don't worry, she's not gonna look like one. Magnus it is! And please accept this teething toy on behalf of Stoick the Vast.

Stoick gives the baby a mace. The mother and father give Gobber horried looks. The mother yells.

INT. MULCH'S HOUSE - DAY

Mulch and Bucket stand on opposite sides of the room, Gobber in between them.

GOBBER
Bucket says you never paid him for the sheep!

MULCH
I never bought a sheep!

Behind Mulch, a sheep bleats.

GOBBER
Who's that? A little woman?

BUCKET
Oh Mulch. You're cheating me now.
GOBBER
Clearly there's only one way to settle this.

Gobber hands a mace to Mulch and a hammer to Bucket and walks away.

As violent sounds come from inside the house, Gobber checks an item off his list.

GOBBER
Diplomacy? Check. All right, what's next?

EXT. DOCKS - DAY

Gobber hammers nails into slabs of iron patched into a Viking ship.

GOBBER
I know the conventional thinking when repairing a ship is wood. But if you ask me, there's nothing like a good old slab of iron!

He gives a couple more hammers.

GOBBER
Eh. Nothing's getting through this!

Stoick, the mother and father, and Mulch and Bucket walk down the docks.
Stoick
Gobber! What do you think you're doing?

GOBBER
Just checking another item off the list.

Gobber give the ship a final hit with the hammer. It slides down the docks and crashes into the water, sinking instantly.

GOBBER
And adding an item for later. "Recover sunken ship." Same time tomorrow?

The crowd behind Gobber groans. Magnus cries.

INT. HICCUP'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Stoicks sits down, pressing two giant blocks of ice to each side of his head.

HICCUP
Here you go, Dad.

Hiccup gives Stoick a mug of mead.

HICCUP
Wow. A two-block headache. You know Dad, I think you're being a wee bit rough on Gobber. It was his first day. Tomorrow will be way better.

STOICK
Oh, it will be for me. Because it won't involve Gobber.

HICCUP
What do you mean?

STOICK
I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and it sunk a ship and named a baby girl Magnus. Now I'm not saying she didn't look like a Magnus, but pray telling that to her parents.

HICCUP
I can't believe you let him go! Well, we've got to help him!

STOICK
We don't have to do anything. You on the other hand, are going to be very busy finding a job for Gobber.

Hiccup stares at Stoick in disbelief.

EXT. DRAGON TRAINING ARENA - DAY

The teens and their dragons, equally confused, are standing in the arena next to their dragons.

FISHLEGS
You're bringing Gobber... here?

HICCUP
He's gonna be great. Nobody knows dragons like old Gobber. He's spent a lifetime, you know, studying them. If we can tap into that, we'll all be better dragon trainers.

Gobber pushes open the gates to the arena, pulling his cart of weapons with him. The dragons recoil.

GOBBER
I'm back! Did you miss me?

HICCUP
First of all, welcome. And second... tiny question, why did you bring your, you know...?

GOBBER
Killing things?

GOBBER
I thought maybe we could train them by threatening to kill the. That's how my daddy taught me to swim.

Gobber rummages in the cart and pulls out a giant mace. He slams it into the ground.

GOBBER
School's in session!

The dragons all waddle past Gobber and fly out of the arena.

GOBBER
Eh. I didn't like school either.

EXT. DRAGON TRAINING ARENA - DAY

The dragons fly back through the arena gate, with the teens riding them. They land in the arena.

Hiccup is sitting on the ground next to Toothless, reading.

HICCUP
What's wrong with you guys?

Astrid gets off Stormfly and rubs her back. Ruffnut and Tuffnut test their legs.

ASTRID
Uh. We've been riding our dragons for four hours. It took forever to chase them down after Gobber scared them away.

HICCUP
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I just don't know what to do with him.

Ruffnut kicks Tuffnut's butt repeatedly.

HICCUP
Do you guys always have to fight?

TUFFNUT
It's okay. I asked her to do that. Just trying to get the feeling back.

RUFFNUT
You gonna return the favor, or what?

Tuffnut begins to kick Ruffnut's butt.

HICCUP
I've flown for hours on Toothless and I've never had a problem.

ASTRID
That's because you have a saddle.

HICCUP
Saddles!

INT. GOBBER'S FORGE - DAY

GOBBER
Saddles? I love it! I've got so many ideas!

Gobber swipes the papers out of Hiccup's hands. He takes a brief look at them and tosses them away.

GOBBER
But not like these. Good ones.

Hiccup picks up the papers. Gobber returns to making his axe.

HICCUP
I'm glad you're excited. But I still think there are some things in my designs you could use. I mean, you did teach me everything I know.

GOBBER
Exactly. That's why you should let Gobber do what Gobber does best. I've been making saddles since you were in diapers. In fact, I made your diapers.

HICCUP
I know you know what you're doing. But keep in mind, every dragon is different. So you need to adjust the--

GOBBER
Hiccup.

HICCUP
But--

GOBBER
Hiccup.

HICCUP
But, I just think--

GOBBER
Hic-cup. I may have taught you everything you know. But I haven't taught you everything I know.

Hiccup shrugs and walks away. Gobber continues pounding away at his axe.

Hiccup and Toothless watch from outside the forge as Gobber makes the saddles.

GOBBER
(singing)
I've got my axe and I've got my mace, and I love my wife with the ugly face! I'm a Viking through and through! Hmmm.

HICCUP
You know, he doesn't sing that song unless he's actually very happy. I think we did a good thing.

EXT. DRAGON ACADEMY - DAY

Hiccup (o.s.)
Alright this is...


Hiccup and Gobber stand in front of the class. To their right is a large patchwork blanket covering a heaping pile.

HICCUP
...an exciting day for all of us. Gobber has been working hard to--

Gobber pushes Hiccup aside with his arm.

GOBBER
I think they might want to hear from the artist himself.

Gobber gestures to himself proudly.


As Gobber speaks, the class is clearly very excited and happy to finally be getting their own saddles. Smiles all round.

GOBBER
(continuing)
I've made a lot of saddles in my day. Horse, Donkey and now, Dragon.

The camera cuts back to Gobber.He gestures towards the covered pile of saddles and gives them a loving pat as he continues speaking.

GOBBER
(continuing)
But these saddles are special. They're like my children, that is if you strapped your child to a flaming reptile and rode it. So without further ado--

Gobber pulls the patchwork blanket off of the pile to reveal a collection of saddles adorned with various weapons. The teens are in awe.

TUFFNUT
Woah!

SNOTLOUT
Wow!

ASTRID
(breathlessly)
Wow!

HICCUP
Wow Gobber. This, this is certainly not what I imagined.

GOBBER
How could it be? I'm Gobber! Nobody knows what it's like to live in here.

Gobber wraps his helmet with his hammer. Hiccup leans in the inspect the saddle in front on him.

HICCUP
Is- Is that--?

GOBBER
Yup! Flamethrower.

Gobber demonstrates the flamethrower's ability, much to Hiccup and Astrid's surprise and exasperation.

GOBBER
(continuing)
Didn't see that one coming, did ya?

HICCUP
Uh no, not for dragons. They come with one built in, actually.

GOBBER
I know, but can ya ever really have to much firepower?

The twins Zippleback can be heard HISSING O.S. The scene cuts to the twins sitting on their saddles astride their dragon. They each load a small boulder into the built-in catapult on their saddles. They pull back the catapults and fire, the rocks both hit one of the Zippleback heads square in the back, knocking the dragon's heads to the ground.

RUFFNUT
Ow!

HICCUP
(to Gobber)
Uhh, catapults? For the twins? Not such a good idea.

Gobber shrugs and the scene switches to Fishlegs riding Meatlug. Meatlug can barely hover above the ground due to the weight of fishlegs saddle, which is adorned in four heavy spiked maces.

FISHLEGS
You can do it girl! Think light.

Meatlug struggles and fails to maintain flight. She collapses to the floor and growls in defeat.

GOBBER
Oh come on! You can't tell me my saddle is heavier than Fishlegs!

FISHLEGS
My mom says I'm just husky.

GROWLING is heard as the scene cuts to Snotlout attempting to put his saddle on Hookfang. Hookfang is uncooperative and violent, shooting fire and tossing the saddle off. Snotlout tries to calm her and fails.

SNOTLOUT
Come on Hookfang, what's wrong with you?

Snotlout reaches forward to pet Hookfang. The dragon moves away with a screech.

SNOTLOUT
That's it, someone's trading with me.

TUFFNUT
Ya, sure. I'll trade my perfect dragon for an angry oven.

The scene cuts to Astrid riding Stormfly. The pair land; it is clear they are not experiencing the difficulty the others are having with their saddles.

ASTRID
This saddle's actually pretty good.

GOBBER
Wait 'til you try the horn.

Astrid blows into the built in horn on her saddle. The horn extends in size and emits a mighty foghorn like noise, scaring Stormfly. Stormfly raises her tail and flings several tail spikes in Snotlout's direction, pinning him to the stone wall.

SNOTLOUT
Really? Again?

HICCUP
So anyway I- I think we're really gonna need to make a few--

GOBBER
Changes! I'm way ahead of you. I've got so many ideas! It's gettin' crowded up here.

Gobber laughs and taps his helmet again with his hammer while Hiccup slumps in defeat. Gobber just won't listen.

INT. DRAGON ACADEMY - SUNSET

Hiccup is sweeping while Toothless relaxes on the floor next to him. When Hiccup gets to the patch of floor Toothless is lying on he snaps his fingers and points, and Toothless gets up and moves to another patch of floor.

Stoick enters quietly, looking around at the mess left from earlier.

STOICK
My Odin! This place looked better when we were killing dragons here!

HICCUP
Ya we sort of got 'Gobbered'

STOICK
Well you know Gobber. He means well, he just doesn't always do well. So what are you going to do about him.

HICCUP
I'm going to clean up his messes and re-do his work.

STOICK
Look; Gobber's like family--

Hiccup turns towards his father, dropping the broom in frustration.

HICCUP
Ya I know he is. That's why I can't say anything to him.

STOICK
No son, that's why you have to. It's not fair to you and it's not fair to Gobber.

HICCUP
(angry)
Why do I have to say something to him? You didn't! You just passed him off to me!

STOICK
That's what the chief does: he delegates. Look, I gave you this academy because it's the best thing for Berk. Now you have to do what's best for the academy.

Stoick takes Hiccup by the shoulder and leads him away towards the door. As they walk, Toothless gets up from where he was napping, yawns, and follows them.

STOICK
(continuing)
And I'm sorry son, but what's best is very rarely what's easy.

They continue to walk towards the door, passing a sleeping and snoring Snotlout, who is still pinned to the wall, on the way.

STOICK
(continuing)
What about him?

HICCUP
Leave him. He's going for a record.

STOICK
Enough said.

Together Hiccup, Stoick and Toothless leave, walking out the door to the sound of Snotlout snoring.

EXT. GOBBER'S FORGE - NIGHT

Hiccup and Toothless approach Gobber's Blacksmith Shop, their faces illuminated by the glow of Hiccup's torch. The stop for a moment.
HICCUP
(to Toothless)
Hey you never know bud. Maybe Gobber finally looked at my plans and is actually making the saddles better.

A large BANG and lots of crashing along with a cloud of dark grey smoke come bursting out of Gobber's shop. The blast wave extinguishes Hiccup's torch.

HICCUP
Or not.

Hiccup enters the shop looking for Gobber.

HICCUP
Gobber?
Gobber turns around and aims a very large crossbow in Hiccup's direction. Hiccup throws his hands in the air in surprise.

HICCUP
Don't shoot!

Gobber lowers the weapon.
GOBBER
I would never shoot you Hiccup. Unless I absolutely had to.

Hiccup gives a awkward little laugh; still eyeing the crossbow nervously.

HICCUP
Hehe yeah....Still, if you could please put the crossbow down I know I'd feel better.

Gobber lowers the crossbow to his side and turns to walk towards his work space. Hiccup follows.

GOBBER
You know, about the weapons, maybe the catapults were a bit much for some of the dragons yesterday. So I've gone a different way. I've gotten rid of the two big ones.

HICCUP
Gobber that's great!

GOBBER
And replaced them with-

Gobber spins around to reveal a miniature catapult.

GOBBER (CONT.)
-six little ones!

Hiccup stares in shock, mouth wide open in disbelief.

HICCUP
Yeah, um, Gobber we need to talk. Uh, I think it might be time for you to take a little break.

GOBBER
In case you hadn't noticed, the only time a Viking is to die.

HICCUP
Maybe break is the wrong word. What I mean is I'm not sure things are working out.

For a brief moment Gobber looks hurt. He stops his work and stares into the corner for a second, then he's back to normal.

GOBBER
Well get back to me when you're sure.

HICCUP
Okay, I'm sure. 
(He sighs). 
Gobber I'm gonna need to take you off the saddle project.

CLANG! Gobber hits one last nail with his hammer and then pauses a moment.

GOBBER
Are you gettin' rid of me Hiccup? Now I see why you had me put down the crossbow.

HICCUP
It's just the saddles! Wwe'll find something else for ya.

GOBBER
(turning towards Hiccup)
I don't need your pity. I've lost and arm and a leg, I think I'll survive losing a job.

Gobber turns away and resumes working, clearly more hurt that he is letting on. Hiccup pat's him on the back comfortingly.

HICCUP
I'm really sorry Gobber.

Hiccup turns and leaves, there's nothing else he can say.

Hiccup and Toothless walk away from the shop.

HICCUP
Well that was awful. I don't know what could be worse than that.

Screaming can be heard coming from the plaza. An unseen dragon breaths fire as vikings run in the opposite direction, towards Hiccup and Toothless. Among the crowd is Snotlout, running for his life.

HICCUP
(continuing)
Okay, it looks like I'm about to find out.

Snotlout runs straight to Hiccup. Behind him, Hookfang appears from behind a house and roars, spitting bit of lava in the process.
SNOTLOUT
(panting)
I never thought I'd say this, but Hiccup...

Snotlout grabs Hiccup by the shoulders.

SNOTLOUT
Help!

EXT. PLAZA - NIGHT

Vikings flee their homes screaming and running in all directions. Hookfang is perched on the roof of a house, breathing massive stream of fire and rubbing the side of his jaw on the roof. He leaps down and lands in the middle of the plaza with a mighty roar. Bit of lava fly everywhere as shakes his head and breathes more fire at the fleeing vikings.

Stoick approaches the mayhem, shouting orders.

STOICK
Everybody back away. The dragon's out of control. It's not safe here.

Hiccup, Toothless and Snotlout approach the plaza running. Snotlout explains what happened:

SNOTLOUT
I don't know what happened! I was just rubbing his head. He usually loves that! But this time he went crazy. My dragon hates me.

They reach the plaza where Stoick and the other teens are watching the events unfold. Hookfang has calmed down a little, rubbing his head on the ground and spitting flecks of lava. Hiccup approaches slowly as Fishlegs speaks.

FISHLEGS
They do say a pet starts to take on the characteristics of it's owner. I think that's what's happening here.

SNOTLOUT
Hey!

Snotlout elbows Fishlegs in the stomach.

FISHLEGS
(clutching his stomach in pain)
Ya I rest my case.

HICCUP
When was the last time he ate?

SNOTLOUT
Not for days.

Hiccup grabs a fish from a nearby barrel and offers it to Hookfang.

HICCUP
Are ya hungry boy?

Slowly Hiccup approaches with the fish, eventually tossing it in Hookfang's mouth. The dragon chews the fish for a moment until a particularly loud crunch, after which he wimpers and spits the fish out. The fish lands right in the middle of Stoick's beard.

HICCUP
Oh sorry dad.

Stoick pulls out the fish and tosses it aside. Toothless catches and eat it.

STOICK
We've got to bring this dragon under control.

HICCUP
Don't worry. I can do this.

Slowly Hiccup approaches even closer to Hookfang, gently touching his nose.

HICCUP
(continuing, to Hookfang)
There you go. It's gonna be okay.

Hiccup lightly pats Hookfang's jaw. Hookfang freaks out and lights on fire, roaring and spitting fire as well.

ASTRID
Hiccup run!

Toothless pounces from behind Astrid and lands on Hookfang, protecting Hiccup from the enraged beast. Hiccup dashes away seeking cover toward the other vikings.

HICCUP
Way ahead of you!

Toothless and Hookfang fight, with Toothless acting in defense. They circle around each other like boxers sparring. Hookfang breathes fire at Toothless, but misses and hits a house behind him.

HICCUP
Toothless! Stop!

Hiccup runs out to Toothless' side, his father not far behind. Stoick places a hand on his son's shoulder.

STOICK
I've seen enough Hiccup. I'm sorry. We tried it your way.

INT. GOBBER'S FORGE - NIGHT

Stoick rushes in, looking for Gobber.

STOICK
Gobber! We need you.

GOBBER
No ya don't.

Gobber hobbles away from the entrance of the shop, his voice on the edge of tears.

GOBBER
(continuing)
Nobody needs me. Nobody needs any of us. Not even you, Bertha.

STOICK
Are you crying?

GOBBER
Course not. Just chopping onions.

STOICK
There are no onions.

GOBBER
Not anymore. Look what I used to chop them with.

Gobber raises his missing arm, indicating the mace he has attached in it's place.

STOICK
There's a dragon in the plaza that's out of control.

GOBBER
(upset)
Then why don't you call hiccup?

STOICK
No Gobber, we need you.

Gobber's expression changes from depressed to determined. He's back.

EXT. PLAZA - NIGHT

Outside Toothless and Hookfang are still circling each other while the teens watch. Toothless is keeping Hookfang in check.

HICCUP
Come on guys! Hurry up! Think! What haven't we tried?

Snotlout turns around and pauses, apparently worried by what  he sees.

HICCUP
Snotlout you have an idea?

SNOTLOUT
Gobber!

Snotlout points toward a very heavily armed Gobber, flanked by Stoick.

GOBBER
Stand back. I came here to do what I do best.

SNOTLOUT
(concerned)
He's gonna kill my dragon.

HICCUP
No, he's not.

TUFFNUT
Uh, ya he is.

RUFFNUT
You don't use that stuff to butter toast.

TUFFNUT
Well, I mean, we would, but you don't.

HICCUP
(approaching his dad)
Dad, you can't be serious? Hookfang is Snotlout's dragon.

GOBBER
I'm sorry Hiccup, but sometimes ya have to fall back on the old ways.

HICCUP
But he's a good dragon.

SNOTLOUT
(crying)
He's a good dragon.

HICCUP
There's probably just something wrong with him.

SNOTLOUT
(still crying)
There's definitely something wrong with him!

HICCUP
We have to try to help him. We can't just get rid of him because he's having a bad day.

STOICK
A bad day for a dragon can be a disaster for us. That's not a risk I am willing to take. Gobber!

Gobber steps forward with a look of pure determination in his eye. It's dragon killing time. He swings a bolus at Hookfang's wings, and then another at his legs. Trapper, Hookfang tries to breath fire, but all can manage is coughing and wheezing.

GOBBER
Ha! You're all out of fire!

Gobber draws his sword and advances. Hiccup comes forward and grabs Gobber's arm, trying to stop him.

HICCUP
I can't let you do this.

GOBBER
There's no choice. It has to be done.

Hookfang lights himself on fire, burning away his bonds. He steps up and give and massive roar, right in Hiccup and Gobber's faces.

GOBBER
Do you see that?

HICCUP
I do.

Gobber holsters his sword and limbers up.

GOBBER
Time to put this beast out of it's misery.

Gobber advances. This time, Hiccup does nothing to stop him.

ASTRID
Hiccup! What are you doing?

Hiccup doesn't say a word, he just raises his arm, silencing Astrid. A knowing smirk on his face. Behind them Tuffnut covers and uncovers his eyes. Snotlout stands helpless as Gobber attacks.

Gobber lunges onto Hookfang, landing on top of his snout. The dragon tries to shake him off, but to no avail. Gobber swings below Hookfangs head, hanging from his jaw. He reaches in Hookfang's mouth, and then get's tossed off by the wild beast.

SNOTLOUT
(relieved)
Ah! You didn't kill him!

GOBBER
For a toothache?

Gobber hold up the tooth he extracted from Hookfang. It has a rather large cavity in it.
Gobber
(continuing)
What kind of lunatic are you?

Hookfang hobs over and gives Snotlout a friendly nuzzle or two on the stomach, which laughing, Snotlout returns with a hug. Mid embrace Snotlout remembers is friends are watching and tries to act tough and manly again. Hookfang rolls his eyes.

SNOTLOUT
(whispering to Hookfang)
Stop it. Stop it.
(to his friends)
Uhg, I don't know where that came from. Can you train that out of him or...?

Stoick and the teens scatter while Hiccup approaches Gobber.

HICCUP
Thank you Gobber. A bad tooth; I can't believe I didn't think of that.

GOBBER
That's because you're not Gobber! I've forgotten more about dragons than most men will ever know. Well, better go put the girls away.

Gobber turns to grab his cart of weapons, but Hiccup stops him.

HICCUP
Gobber! Not so fast!

EXT./ INT. GOBBER'S SHOP - DAY

A Gronkle and rider fly overhead, landing in line behind a Monstrous Nightmare, a Nadder, and a Hideous Zippleback. The line leads to Gobber's shop, and extends all the way out in to the plaza.
HICCUP (V.O)
When the world around you changes, the good men find a way to change with it. And Gobber is one of those good men.

Gobber is in his shop cleaning the teeth of one of the heads of a Zippleback.

Hiccup (v.o)
(continued)
In fact, he's one of the best.

Gobber
(singing as he cleans)
I've got my axe and I've got my mace, and I love my wife with the ugly face! I'm a Viking through and throouugghh!

There's a new sign on the shop; a huge, healthy dragon tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment