Friday, November 29, 2013

Defenders of Berk 206 Review



PLOT A: "Frozen: Dreamworks Style"

After the Hofferson family name was ruined when the Frightmare killed “Fearless Finn Hofferson” 10 years ago, Astrid has sworn revenge on the Frightmare, and with its arrival coming soon she’s finally going to get that chance.

This is probably the first “Astrid-centric” episode we’ve gotten since the mighty Heather Report duo last season and while I enjoyed Heather Report a lot more than this episode, it had some good points.

First off, it was interesting to see an actual flashback in show since I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that the show wasn’t really for flashbacks. But it seems they tactfully skimped around having to pay for making a younger model for Astrid by using one of the little girl models already used in the show and re-coloring her hair. I’m pretty sure it was the same little girl that was in episode 202 wanting Fishlegs’ autograph.

But still, this episode just might have a lot more depth in backstory than anticipated. If there really is some kind of embarrassment of dishonor of the Hofferson name after Finn was killed by the frightmare, that might explain Astrid’s continual drive in the movie and so forth to be the best at everything. Because she doesn’t want to be an embarrassment or add more dishonor to her family name….?

It’s an interesting thought to chew on.

Still, irrational and impulsive Astrid is always entertaining to watch as she usually thinks things through before jumping into stuff, she had a tunnel vision goal of defeating this dragon, so it was an odd turn of events to see Hiccup be the non-impulsive voice of reason.

And the end was good as well, though I think it would’ve benefited with maybe Astrid saying something about her uncle and not Hiccup. I know he was doing her a solid, but it was “Astrid’s” episode, after all.

But, onto the Frightmare. It’s a very pretty dragon. Very nice light effects and design, if I do say so myself. And the twist—if you wanna call it a twist—that it paralyzes it’s prey before striking it is….interesting to say the least. Though a bit gruesome when you think of poor Finn being frozen while it watches a dragon hurling towards him before it brutally murders him….

Lucky for Astrid, Hiccup was there to get her out of the way.

And the other “twist” that the Frightmare comes to Berk every year because it’s following a glowing river algae ignited by the aurora felt very national geographic, but it worked…and was a perfect thing for Fishlegs to solve.

I did enjoy how they only used the characters that were necessary to this plot, and I’m continually liking Astrid, Hiccup, and Fishlegs as the main problem solving trio of the show.

The ending battle was…it was good. I wouldn’t say it blew my mind but it wasn’t bad. Just your standard good fight. I do grow tired of the dragon commands, though. Still, I get their purpose, but I think Toothless knows to roll over during a fight without Hiccup telling him to.

So, this plot was mostly just a bag of “good but not great” things here.


PLOT B: "Mission Impossible….for Snotlout"

Ruffnut and Tuffnut have a “exclusive bunker” made for taking refuge during the Frightmare’s arrival and Snotlout wants in, but he first has to complete a list of outrageous errands for the twins.

This plot is basically the definition of a comedic sideplot. This episode had a more serious tone to it with its main plot, so I suppose they wanted something lighter to balance it out, and thus we get this plot with the twins and Snotlout.

It was cute and funny, I can say that, so there was nothing wrong with the plot itself. Just how much screen time it got. It got way for much for something that was a sideplot, and it ended up using time that could’ve 
been used to flush out the A plot better.

Now the A plot was in no way rushed, so to speak, but there was more than one time in this episode where when this comedic sideplot came up I was tapping my fingers waiting for it to get back to the main point of the episode.

Comedic sideplots are perfectly fine as long as they stay on the side, and this plot started pushing too much in terms of how much screen time it got when it didn’t advance the plot whatsoever.

So…while it was good and funny and all, it needed a little less time because, again, it wasn’t the point of the episode.



FINAL THOUGHTS:

So, this episode had a lot of hype behind it and I already anticipated it wouldn’t live up to it…mainly because the hype was all Hiccstrid.

I wasn’t expecting any romance in this episode so I wasn’t disappointed or shocked like I know some of the fans were.

That aside, I do think this episode had a bit of an issue with balance between the A and B plot, but managed to still have that issue and not let the episode seemed rushed. So, I praise it on that.

It was a nice look back into Astrid’s past and motivations, and offered a lovely new dragon.


No comments:

Post a Comment